Monday, July 16, 2007

My Problem Isn't Medical ... It's Psychological!

Film Log (added: The Meh Precursor to Dazed and Confused; Flowers of Shanghai; Infernal Affairs)

New
"Afro Samurai" ... D
America: From Freedom to Fascism (2006) ... F
Bug ... C
"Cities of the Underworld" ... C-
Evan Almighty ... C+
Evening ... C-
Fracture ... C
"Ice Road Truckers" ... F
Kickin' It Old Skool ... F
Knocked Up ... B
The Mars Underground ... B-
Meet the Robinsons ... B
Mr. Bean's Holiday ... D+
Nancy Drew ... B+
Ocean's Thirteen ... C+
Sicko ... B-
Spider-Man 3 ... C+

Sugar Creek ... D+
Wind Chill ... C

Older
Blades of Glory ... C-
The Condemned ... C+
Disturbia ... B-
The Ex ... D+
The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ... C-
1408 ... C
Hot Fuzz ... B-
The Invisible ... C-
Live Free or Die Hard ... B+
Old Joy (2006) ... B
Paprika ... B+
Paris, Je T'aime ... C
Ratatouille ... B+
Shrek the Third ... D+
Surf's Up ... C+
28 Weeks Later ... C
Wild Hogs ... C+

2 comments:

RC said...

i'm surprised the rat didn't get a higher score...especially since meet the robinson's scored a B.

when will we see an A? (hopefully this year has some great A-worthy films to come)

J said...

Both Ratatouille and Paprika, aside from being pretty awesome, have a pretty decent chance at going up when I see them again, as opposed to, say, Live Free or Die Hard, which is basically set in stone.

Meet the Robinsons was barely a B (there's obviously a bit of a disparity between that one and Ratatouille), and I should probably mention I haven't really bothered to elicit anything in writing about Ratatouille given the reasons I enjoyed it were pretty similar to those of my peers, most of which already wrote great articles about it. In the future I'll probably create a section for brief colloquialisms so I can at least address some of the films that otherwise would go unmentioned, and Ratatouille will probably end up there. (If I recall correctly, Bird's use of "visual flavor" was pretty damn exhilirating; the superfluous narration, less so)

On the subject of A's in 2007 ... Uh. Soon to come, I hope. In the meantime I'd recommend Blockbuster.com-ing a copy of Hayao Miyazaki's Porco Rosso (I hadn't heard of it either) for your A-list viewing pleasure. It's basically animation's Citizen Kane minus the subtextual assault on character, but plus steam-era dogfighting.